Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Purple, Purple, Pink, Purple

Purple, Purple, Pink, Purple. That little mantra, if you will, helps me to remember the order of the colors of our Advent Wreath. On the first, second and fourth weeks we light purple candles, on the third week, a pink candle. Growing up, I never understood why we switched from purple to pink in the middle and back again. Why wasn't the pink candle the last? Or first? Later, I grew to accept that that is just the way it is.

Yesterday, I met with a family about the sacrament of Confirmation and the season of Advent came into our conversation. I mentioned my mantra, purple, purple, pink, purple and got asked the question, "Why is there a pink candle, and what do the colors mean?" I didn't have a good answer at the time. So today, I googled it. Here's a great blog post to explain:

http://livinghopeomaha.wordpress.com/about-living-hope/bible-stud/the-meaning-of-the-advent-wreath/


No comments:

Post a Comment